Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Journal #8

1) I think the title Their Eyes Were Watching God fits the book well. I think Hurston chose this title for the book because of the major and apparent theme throughout the whole book, although it was not the only one it did come up throughout the main parts of the book. The theme of God is always in control in some way and that the people at some points may think they have the power but they don't because he can take it away at any one moment. The word "Watching" in the title I think greatly adds to what she was thinking when she made the title, that they were watching and waiting what would happen next and they had no control over it.

2) They Look Towards The Sun could be an alternate title for this book Caucasus Hurston uses the sun in many parts of the book and probably it is used as much as the theme of "god". This could effect your reading because it would make you focus more on what the meaning of the sun is on the book. For many books the title can say everything about what to look for.

3) The title of my pastiche is "A Far off Schoolhouse". I use throughout my pastiche the symbol of a school house where the character is slowly losing the ability to see it due to conflict between her husband. I could have used any object but I chose the school house and the playground of a scene of happiness and good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment