Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Post #1 Summer Reading

1. I enjoyed reading "1984" the most because it gave us another point of view in the world of a different type of government. A government that controlled every aspect of life by using propaganda and different type of mind games that made there people believe everything they said. My favorite part about the book was when they did announcements about productivity and food rations. Most of the propaganda that was played continuously, Winston knew wasn't true because his role in the ministry of truth where he would literally rewrite media to make it positive.

2. My least favorite book was "The Stranger" because I had a hard time following it. I was able to understand the main plot of the book but don't have a firm grasp on the meaning of the book. In a lot of the parts of the book I kind of got lost especial Meursault's relationship with Marie, he shows no real interest with her and for what I know she towards the end of the book picks up on his lack of interest in her.

3. Their eyes were watching god- I would focus on the element of the culture and the time setting of the book. I think the time setting of the book is very important to understanding the book. At the time of the setting of the book there was a lot of racial problems in the south because the ending of slavery in the mid 1800's. The south was a hard place to live as an African-American and if you did not understand the time that the book was place I believe that you would miss out on many important things that the characters in the book hint at through the course of the story.Culture was a big aspect throughout the book, mostly the way the characters talked to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment